100g dark chocolate
150g Amaretti biscuits (crisp ones)
100g plain flour
225g unsalted butter, softened
175g Castor sugar
5 large eggs
1 tablespoon Amaretto liqueur or lukewarm water
Cocoa powder for dusting
- Heat the oven to C180. Grease a 20cm round tin.
- In the bowl of a food processor add the chocolate and grind to a fine powder. Then add 100g Amaretti biscuits to the chocolate and pulse until they are a fine powder. Next add the flour and pulse the machine so the mixture is combined.
- Put the softened butter and sugar in the bowl of a mixer and beat (with the whisk attachment) until light and creamy.
- Separate the eggs. Add one egg yolk at a time to the butter and sugar and mix after each addition. Once all the egg yolks are mixed in add the chocolate, amaretti biscuits and flour to the butter, sugar and egg yolk mixture. Mix until combined. Next add the lukewarm water, and mix.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Using a large metal spoon fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture in three batches.
- When thoroughly combined pour into a prepared tin and cook for 40 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Meanwhile put 50g of the Amaretti biscuits in the food processor and mix until the biscuits are fine crumbs.
- Remove the cake from the oven and run a knife around the edge to loosen the cake from the edges. Turn the cake out onto a wire rack, immediately. Dust the cake with a thick layer of cocoa powder then sprinkle over the Amaretti biscuits.
|Chocolate Amaretti Cake|