Search Nuala's Kitchen

Wednesday 5 February 2014

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Last night I was feeling a bit homesick, so I decided to bake one of favourite things - Chocolate Chip Cookies. They are so simple to make, yet so satisfying. Now the reason that I haven't talked about  this recipe on my blog before is because there is a minefield of opinions of how these cookies should be. There is the classic Nestle Chocolate Chip Recipe (anyone remember the friends episode where Monica tests multiple recipes to find her grandmother's old recipe and realises it was on the back of the Nestle packet?). But everybody has their own preference for how chocolate chip cookies should be: some like them soft, some like them chewy, others crunchy and others cakey. I like mine soft in the middle and chewy on the outside and definalty not crunchy. My favourite recipe is the New York Times recipe. This recipe is simply amazing - no more needs to be said! One tip though watch them very carefully in the oven, one minute too much and you have horrible crunchy cookies. Also the cookies are better if the dough is chilled however you can make them without chilling dough.

Yesterday, I decided to make large American Style cookies as that is where this recipe originated and where I first made them (as I grew up in America). So I made really large cookies with chocolate chunks and ate them warm out of the oven with a glass of milk. Perfecto! However you could make them  'English Style', by making cakey cookies and be sure to eat them with a cup of tea! Or even 'Italian style' by making mini cookies which are perfect with an expresso, after a meal. So as I discovered these are a good bake that cross over the different cultures which are significant in my life; even though they are quintessentially American.

So which 'culture' cookies are you going to make? 

No comments:

Post a Comment