Search Nuala's Kitchen

Saturday 21 May 2011

'The Roux Brothers on Patisserie'

Earlier this month I found a 1986 copy of 'The Roux Brothers on Patisserie' at my grandmothers house and thought I would try out a recipe or two. I had heard that the Roux Brother's recipes were complicated and time consuming, but I didn't believe this until I tried one of their recipes for myself! After poring over the beautiful pictures of french cakes and tarts I came across a beautiful picture of a collection of Fruit Tartlets and Barquettes. The picture consisted of a range of sizes and shapes of tarlets decorated with figs, raspberries, strawberries, grapes, red currents, blueberries, gooseberries and mango. In the book there was no official recipe on how to make the tartlets, only a caption in the corner specifying the pastry used and the filling. The Recipes for these could be found elsewhere in the book. I thought that these tartlets looked irresistible and seemed simple enough to make.

A type of pastry called Pate Sucree was used, which translates to a sweet short pastry. The pastry was lined with a Creme Chiboust. Still sounding simple?

The Pate Sucree is a basic short crust pastry, which is in theory easy to work with. The Creme Chiboust is a creme patissiere mixed with a meringue italienne. Now it is sounding a bit more difficult.

Check back later to see how it went . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment