Search Nuala's Kitchen

Thursday 22 December 2011

Christmas Cupcakes

So after the inspiring visit to the Hummingbird bakery, I decided to create my own Christmas cupcakes.

For the cupcakes I used a basic vanilla sponge cake (CLICK HERE to see recipe) and to decorate I used a basic butter cream icing (CLICK HERE to see recipe).  This meant that I could therefore focus on decorations.

Christmas Tree Cupcakes

To make these I died the butter cream a deep green colour, to  imitate the colour of a Christmas tree. I then used a large piping nozzle to pipe the butter cream in a swirl on top of the cupcake. To decorate I put a white chocolate star on the top of the 'tree' and then sprinkled with baubles and sugar crystals. If you don't have a mold to make the white chocolate stars then you could easily make them at home. Have a look at step 12 of this blog post for directions.


It's warm inside!
Snowmen Cupcakes

Firstly cover the cupcake with white butter cream icing to make a flat surface for the snowmen to sit on. For the hat I used a minstrel. To make the snowmen use two marshmallows - cut the top off one and squish it to make it smaller. Then using butter cream stick the two marshmallows together. To make the face on the marshmallow I used the small piping icing from the supermarket to pipe on a face.

Bow Cupcakes

Spread the white frosting over the cupcake in a swirl design using an offset spatula. Tye a ribbon or stick a picture onto a toothpick and then pierce this into the top of the cupcake. Sprinkle with sugar crystals.

No comments:

Post a Comment