FOR THE CAKE:
3 large eggs
175g caster sugar
200ml sunflower oil
200g plain flour
250g grated carrot (about 3 carrots)
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
100g chopped walnuts or chopped pecans
FOR THE ICING:
100g unsalted butter
100g cream cheese
300g icing sugar
7 tablespoons cocoa powder
Walnuts to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line two 20cm round tins.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar in the bowl of a food mixer, until very light and frothy.
- Slowly pour in the oil.
- Fold in the grated carrots, using a spatula.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger to the mixture. Fold in.
- Split the mixture between the two tins and cook for 25 minutes.
- Turn out the cakes and cool completely.
- To make the icing; put all the ingredients into a food mixer and whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Spread the icing in between the two cakes and then sainwhich together. Ice the top and sides of the cake.