350g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2tsp ground Ginger
175g light muscovado sugar
4tblsp golden syrup
currants to decorate
- Heat oven at C190. Grease 3 baking trays.
- Measure the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into a bowl of a food processor. Whiz in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Add the syrup and egg to the flour mixture. Mix until the mixture forms a dough.
- Take it out of the food processor and knead it lightly with your hands for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half and roll out on a floured surface to the thickness of one centimeter.
- Cut out gingerbread men and women using a cutter. Place them on a baking tray leaving enough space forspreading. Roll out the rest of the dough and cut out the gingerbread. Decorate them with currants to make eyes and buttons.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes until a slightly darker shade.
- Cool slightly and then move to a cooling rack.